Skip to main content

[FICTION] Tales from Port Astor | Whispers 10

 "Hello caller, you're on the air..."


"I'd originally moved to the area for work, and of course you can't beat that 'Port Astor Rent', but after seeing what 'PA Rent' gets you, I only paid for the rent once before breaking the lease, and looking... somewhere else."

"I found a sublet in North Astor, a suburb off of one of the two bridges in-or-out of the city, and it felt fine for a little bit, if not a little bit sterile. It has a lot of new or recent buildings, with a lot of corporate outlets; no mom-and-pop anything. Everyone worked for one of the local business giants, like Magter or Stagg, or the Feds in one way or another. Nimitz Naval Station was right there. The sailors and airmen spent their leave in town, since Port Astor was still angry about the shelling incident way back in like 1930 or something."

"The sublet was okay; a stale-if-clean apartment complete with stainless steel appliances, particle board with stone veneer, and a coat of 'Landlord Beige'. The guy worked for Stagg in their commercial banking division. He seemed awkward but harmless, and that he definitely go outside enough. The place was sparse when it came to decorations and furniture, but what was there was nice; a two-thousand dollar couch and state-of-the-art television, but little else. No dining furniture, and the common bathroom wasn't clean, it was pristine."

"The first thing I noticed was that despite working a corporate office gig, was that he was never awake during the day. 'Business never sleeps!' he'd say like he'd rehearsed it a hundred times. I thought it was just him being a little weird. I honestly thought he did the sublet out of loneliness rather than financial need. But, it was a cheap room, and not moldy."

"My danger sense only fully tripped about four months in, when he came home with blood on his shirt, and looked like his face but he tried to wipe it off? And for the first time, I saw an ounce of genuine emotion, and it was panic. I went out into the living room when I heard him come home, since I had to pay rent, and he usually wanted cash. I can still see how absolutely wild his eyes were."

"'YOU CAN'T BE HERE', he wailed, and with a strength and speed I didn't know he or anyone else had, picked me up and dropped me back into my room, like an angry parent cleaning up after an inattentive child one-too-many times. I stood there in shock at the sudden... everything, I head his frantic movements and shuffling of something, which all came to an instant stop when a knock came to the door."

"I heard the soft and slow walk to the door, and even without seeing, I could feel the anxiety pouring from the next room. I heard the trembling unlock of the front door, and the opening, and finally the wordless closing. The clacking of heels in the kitchen?"

"'I told you that I didn't want you having another episode.', a stern feminine voice said. I had never heard her before. I didn't think he knew anyone, honestly."

"'Ii-m sorry, I thought I had it under con--', he stammered."

"'Thought doesn't cut it, and if you're allowed to continue, some will think the King's mandate can just be ignored, and that's... just bad for everyone, isn't it?' came the cold reply that cut through his nervousness."

"'Is there anyone else... here?' she asked after a short moment while I heard some rummaging noises."

"'N-no.' he said unconvincingly, followed by a stop of the rummaging and silence. I could feel eyes staring in the direction of my room."

"'That's fine, that can be taken care of later.'" eventually came the reply. They got real quiet after that, and I could only hear the vague murmuring rather than any actual conversation. She was there for at least three hours before I heard the front door open and close again. I didn't go out again for the rest of the night. When morning came, and I knew he'd be asleep, I left rent on the counter, and a note saying that I was going to move out. I timed my life to avoid him for the next few weeks. He didn't try to force any communication, which I appreciated, but he looked so sad. The last thing he said to me before I left for the current studio is 'I'm sorry', delivered without his trademark stutter."

"Honestly, I don't think I'm going to stay in this area for too much longer. Between the shithole of a city, and amount of maybe-serial-killers, I was better off in Sacramento, and-- wait, there's a knock on the door. It was so quiet, I could have almost missed it..."

"Thank you, caller..."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[FICTION] Tales From Port Astor | Return To Rest

This is the third part and finale of this year's October series! Please go read part two if you have not already!       The golden light of morning shone through to paned window, and in front of you a fine breakfast. Your wife, a reporter for a local newspaper. You look upon your love, and she begins to speak, but her words are a mumble, almost underwater. You look into her eyes, the green eyes you loved so much, searching for her light, but... nothing. Then, like knives through a curtain, words.     " How long did you wait? "     " How long did you really feel that way about me? "     " How long did you pretend to miss me? "     " How long did you pretend to love me? "     You reel, your wife just sits there, beaming the same brilliant smile that she always had, looking up at you, eyes that devoured the light.     It comes back to you now. She disappeared last year, you remember the biting, haunting sorrow for h...

[Guest Writer] Gemini by Brian Rydquist

Editor's Note: This is a content warning for those sensitive to certain topics; self-harm, child loss, graphic descriptions of violence.            Sylvia bent over the lifeless bodies of the newborn infants she had just spent six hellish hours delivering. Screams of anguish poured from her diaphragm, blood soaked her nightgown from the waist down. Her husband William knelt beside her, stroking her shoulder in a futile attempt at comfort. The midwife, an elderly Inuit woman, knelt on her otherside. “Please miss,  you must lay down. Your body has suffered incredible stress, the birth was not a good one.” “My babies, my babies, this can’t be!” Sylvia shrieked, deaf to the woman’s words. “Shh, shh,” William was muttering as he rubbed her shoulders. “Maybe it won’t be, I have already sent for the spirit leader of my tribe. He should arrive any moment.” “Don’t be a fool! How dare you give my wife this false hope! You can clearly see the babie...

[Guest Writer] Rain, Again by Charlena Kea

  Uncle, it is happening again. The rain has come. I have spent thousands of nights praying that the world would realize something when they pulled your small body from the river. How delicate life is. How precious. How it floats and swells and then vanishes in even the gentlest currents. I prayed you would be more than a forgotten proverb. In a story about big men in faraway places. Their empty fists and uncalloused fingertips meeting tabletops unscathed. And the rain falling faithfully in turn. They say they are here to protect us. That we are safe behind a blinding cloud of rubble and the dust of month-old bones. But I always wonder why they did not protect you; my most precious kin. I wonder what it is that must be offered to deserve their protection. Because your fluttering pulse and brand new eyes for an old and broken world were not enough. A child’s body and a child’s heart is not enough. They didn’t protect you when the squall of fire and metal touched down on the land...