Skip to main content

[FICTION] Tales from Port Astor | I'll Be Home Soon

 Dearest Claudia,


It has been so long since I have seen you, too long. I think about our goodbye at the docks at my boarding of the Eastern Gloam to set sail for Indochina. I remember how you wept, and how I did too, as we kissed goodbye. I remember how you worried about what you heard, about how the people there attacked the French, but I told you that it was still worth it. A decision I still stand by, even though it meant being so far from home, and you. But I have joyous news; I will be home soon.


Let me tell you of my adventures! The chance to join the university expedition to parts unknown was well worth it, as it has given me so much to share with you. I was hesitant at first, watching Port Astor sink below the horizon, but if I had only known what awaited! The journey was long, and I assisted the professors with planning the route we would take overland once we arrived in that tropical land so far away. It was then, after spending so much time with Professor Garland, that I noticed how severe he had gotten after accepting this expedition, and a gray countenance he did assume-- but perhaps I was simply too harsh minded of an old man close to the end of his tenure.


Once we arrived in Indochina, we soon after departed into the jungle once all supplies and personnel were accounted for. How alive a place can feel, but so rarely did I chance a glimpse of neither animal or man. I will not bore you the details of perilous tedium while we marched on, but suffice to say, it is not a thing I should like to repeat ever again. But I recall a conversation I had with Professor Garland, and a curious item he showed to me one night as we neared our destination. I at once understood why he was how he was, and why I must do the same. I will share with you what he showed me, when I soon arrive home.


When we first spied our goal, some were dismayed that it appeared so mundane; a pile of stone in a foreign jungle, but to me and the others it was so much more. We persevered with great conviction, pouring ourselves upon the stone carved by hands so distant in time as to never have been. I recall the growing frustration, then anger, at the part of the team that just could not understand what this was. What we sought could be the end of so much that plagued the world, why could they not see? Then I remembered, that they had not seen what I had seen. What Professor Garland had showed me.


I convinced the professor that they must see, that they must understand! He finally acquiesced, and allowed me to show them all the proof of purpose that they would ever need. Some resisted, but not for very long. Not after there were more of us than there was of them. One by one, they all came to see our truth. One I hope to soon share with you. I will be home soon.


Yours,

Charles

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[Guest Writer] Gemini by Brian Rydquist

Editor's Note: This is a content warning for those sensitive to certain topics; self-harm, child loss, graphic descriptions of violence.            Sylvia bent over the lifeless bodies of the newborn infants she had just spent six hellish hours delivering. Screams of anguish poured from her diaphragm, blood soaked her nightgown from the waist down. Her husband William knelt beside her, stroking her shoulder in a futile attempt at comfort. The midwife, an elderly Inuit woman, knelt on her otherside. “Please miss,  you must lay down. Your body has suffered incredible stress, the birth was not a good one.” “My babies, my babies, this can’t be!” Sylvia shrieked, deaf to the woman’s words. “Shh, shh,” William was muttering as he rubbed her shoulders. “Maybe it won’t be, I have already sent for the spirit leader of my tribe. He should arrive any moment.” “Don’t be a fool! How dare you give my wife this false hope! You can clearly see the babies are dead, and besides, no one cou

[Guest Writer] Rain, Again by Charlena Kea

  Uncle, it is happening again. The rain has come. I have spent thousands of nights praying that the world would realize something when they pulled your small body from the river. How delicate life is. How precious. How it floats and swells and then vanishes in even the gentlest currents. I prayed you would be more than a forgotten proverb. In a story about big men in faraway places. Their empty fists and uncalloused fingertips meeting tabletops unscathed. And the rain falling faithfully in turn. They say they are here to protect us. That we are safe behind a blinding cloud of rubble and the dust of month-old bones. But I always wonder why they did not protect you; my most precious kin. I wonder what it is that must be offered to deserve their protection. Because your fluttering pulse and brand new eyes for an old and broken world were not enough. A child’s body and a child’s heart is not enough. They didn’t protect you when the squall of fire and metal touched down on the land tha

[FICTION] Tales from Port Astor | Sepulcher

 This is part three, and the finale, of this year's mini series! You can read part two here .                Anton dropped his bag down the shaft. After jimmying the outside doors, evading city employees and security, and going in a general downward direction, he had found it; the Plague Tunnels of Port Astor. He then dropped down himself, kicking up dust that hasn’t seen the light of day in nearly a century. Anton turned on his headlamp, which only stubbornly obliged. It revealed where he was; in the alley way between two buildings. As he stepped out into the forgotten street, he could make out one of the ancient signs; “ARTHUR’S IMPORTS & RARE BOOKS”. He cleared some of the dust from the window, which hung in the heavy air.                 He shined a light into the store, and as he did, an immense clamor was heard from within. Anton jumped back, and would have screamed if he hadn’t stifled it. He was, after all, trespassing. The shop door was still in place, and secured wi