Skip to main content

[FICTION] Tales from Port Astor | Of Both Times & Measures

 The black liquid was oil, we’d struck it rich. We knew that we could now retire, and live in leisure. We actually started talking about all the ways we’d spend the money. Our first choice was to move out west, and buy land, or even try our hand in the market. Ross said we could go back east; return in glorious triumph. Joseph didn’t know what to do with it, but then again, he didn’t know what to do with himself in the best of times.

As the burning sun bore down on us and our discovery, we began to feel a growing sense of annoyance to take us. All alone in the wastes, we bickered about how we ought to split our find. Ross said he should get the majority, since it was rightly his equipment, while Joseph staked his claim by virtue of it being his land. While, I myself being a gentleman of sensible mind, suggested even shares, but the others would not have any of it.

Ross swung first at Joseph, knocking the smaller man to the ground; then mounting and pummeling as he went. I tried to pull him off, but it was too late. He had beaten the poor simpleton to death, for nothing more than oil out of dirt. He then came after me, but I pulled my six-shooter and shot him. I shot my best friend dead. I then was alone in that silent place with nothing but myself, my dead friends, and that catalyst of greed.

I wasn’t expecting it, but I was not surprised either. Maybe I’d seen it coming. At the very least I should have seen it coming. There had been signs. Ross had grown increasingly belligerent since we had that incident at Broken Hill site, where he swore that the other prospectors had been stealing from him. Then again, he’d always been an ass. The youngest of an old family, forever chasing the shadows cast from old glories.

I then stood at an impasse; if I returned home to Boston, folks would question why Ross wasn’t in company. If I don’t, I have only the equipment in our -- my pack, and five bullets to last me till the nearest town; at least a weeks journey. I pondered for a time before I made my mind.

I dumped all the bags, and took what I’d need. I will go, and journey west to the Oregon Territory, free from my misdoings and sins. If I returned home, they might hang me for what I had done. I did the decent thing, and buried my fallen friends. It was the least.

And that was that.


Many, many months later


Only another mile, I thought, keeping my head down. I watched each foot rise and fall, rise and fall, losing myself in the rhythm of it. I thought of what was one the other side of the mountain, and I remembered that there was another range across the valley. The mountains I had crossed at that time was the Cascades, weren’t as difficult as the Rockies, which I had crossed the preceding Summer.

The weather here in Oregon was much wetter than what I had experienced in recent months, which seemed like nothing but waste and dune, broken only by sparse grass in some places. While I was thankful for a change, the rain and cold presented a new challenge. After I hit the summit, I stared down into the valley. I was greeted by the sight of it’s verdant growth. Never in my journey up to that point had I seen such an abundance of untamed natural forest. 

I was crossing a grave in the trees, when I saw what looked like a campsite. I announced my approach, but none answered. When I entered, a most heinous sight greeted me. A long dead person, reduced to nought but bone, and a camp that had long been host to nothing but the occasional animal or varmint passing through. Inside the tent, lay only another skeleton, a clear gunshot to the skull, and a rusted revolver still clutched in the bony hand. 

I guess, even surrounded in abundance, desperation can just as surely find you as it can in desolation.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[Guest Writer] Gemini by Brian Rydquist

Editor's Note: This is a content warning for those sensitive to certain topics; self-harm, child loss, graphic descriptions of violence.            Sylvia bent over the lifeless bodies of the newborn infants she had just spent six hellish hours delivering. Screams of anguish poured from her diaphragm, blood soaked her nightgown from the waist down. Her husband William knelt beside her, stroking her shoulder in a futile attempt at comfort. The midwife, an elderly Inuit woman, knelt on her otherside. “Please miss,  you must lay down. Your body has suffered incredible stress, the birth was not a good one.” “My babies, my babies, this can’t be!” Sylvia shrieked, deaf to the woman’s words. “Shh, shh,” William was muttering as he rubbed her shoulders. “Maybe it won’t be, I have already sent for the spirit leader of my tribe. He should arrive any moment.” “Don’t be a fool! How dare you give my wife this false hope! You can clearly see the babies are dead, and besides, no one cou

[Guest Writer] Rain, Again by Charlena Kea

  Uncle, it is happening again. The rain has come. I have spent thousands of nights praying that the world would realize something when they pulled your small body from the river. How delicate life is. How precious. How it floats and swells and then vanishes in even the gentlest currents. I prayed you would be more than a forgotten proverb. In a story about big men in faraway places. Their empty fists and uncalloused fingertips meeting tabletops unscathed. And the rain falling faithfully in turn. They say they are here to protect us. That we are safe behind a blinding cloud of rubble and the dust of month-old bones. But I always wonder why they did not protect you; my most precious kin. I wonder what it is that must be offered to deserve their protection. Because your fluttering pulse and brand new eyes for an old and broken world were not enough. A child’s body and a child’s heart is not enough. They didn’t protect you when the squall of fire and metal touched down on the land tha

[FICTION] Tales from Port Astor | Sepulcher

 This is part three, and the finale, of this year's mini series! You can read part two here .                Anton dropped his bag down the shaft. After jimmying the outside doors, evading city employees and security, and going in a general downward direction, he had found it; the Plague Tunnels of Port Astor. He then dropped down himself, kicking up dust that hasn’t seen the light of day in nearly a century. Anton turned on his headlamp, which only stubbornly obliged. It revealed where he was; in the alley way between two buildings. As he stepped out into the forgotten street, he could make out one of the ancient signs; “ARTHUR’S IMPORTS & RARE BOOKS”. He cleared some of the dust from the window, which hung in the heavy air.                 He shined a light into the store, and as he did, an immense clamor was heard from within. Anton jumped back, and would have screamed if he hadn’t stifled it. He was, after all, trespassing. The shop door was still in place, and secured wi